Replacing SAMBA with NFS (WIndows 7)

This post is for  Windows 7 users.  Don't follow this for Linux.  Its far easier to do this on Linux.

For years, I've had the various pc's in the house accessing shared resources on one of the Linux servers in the place.

It's normally mapped by drive letter in Windows or OSX or readily accessible as a \\Server\Share UNC name.  This convenience has come at a price.

The free availability of media has been a huge distraction to the kids who should be studying and I just don't have the time to monitor this access.

I just stopped the Samba service and as a result, things are broken ;)

Even for me...

So after much research, I went back to something I'd long stopped using.  NFS.

I created some shares in /etc/exports on my servers looking something like this



/home/shares/allusers/drive1/ 10.0.0.0/24(rw,insecure,async,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check)
/home/shares/allusers/drive2/ 10.0.0.0/24(rw,insecure,async,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check)
/home/shares/allusers/drive3/ 10.0.0.0/24(rw,insecure,async,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check)


on Windows I have a batch file with the following:

mount \\10.0.0.11\home\shares\allusers\drive1 u:
mount \\10.0.0.11\home\shares\allusers\drive2 v:
mount \\10.0.0.11\home\shares\allusers\drive3 w:

which mounts them on startup.

Works like a charm.

The trick is to use Task Scheduler to run the file as NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

If you don't, the mappings are not persistent.

So far so good.

To share the media to my IOS & Android devices, we are using Plex, which works a treat.

If you need any help, comment below and I can go into more detail.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unlocking Hera Tani

So, in the spirit of Elite Stories, thought I'd share my perspective of last night.