Trim .AVI files on OSX without reencoding

So I wanted to burn some video clips to disk, but the resultant disk image was too big to fit on a dvd. I could have removed one file and it would fit, but the issue was that it was only a few megabytes too much. It seemed like I needed to lose 1 or 2 minutes of video to make it fit.

I immediately reached for my usual answer to the problem ffmpeg. FFMpeg, as everybody should know, is the video editing command line tool of choice. It was a simple matter of setting start and end times and clipping the file.

However, it normally requires a bit of work getting the parameters right and converting times to seconds, etc. I wasn't in the mood. Secondly, I'm using OSX. There's supposed to be a GUI way to do this. So a few searches later, I had my answer.

http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

Enter Streamclip.

OpenFile.
Seek to the Point you wish to clip. Don't drag a selection, just select the frame you wish to use as the trim point. Now, in the edit menu, select "Select In" to select all frames up to that frame or "Select Out" to select frames after that point. Now, select "Trim" in the edit menu. Lastly, SaveAs to create your new file without re-encoding.

Test your file and you're done.

I used it to trim a file which I had recorded which had extra adverts at the end. Removing it, saved my enough space to make my compilation fit on a dvd.

Awesome.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unlocking Hera Tani

So, in the spirit of Elite Stories, thought I'd share my perspective of last night.