Sony Vaio gets an upgrade

So I'm starting a new contract tomorrow.

It's almost the end of Father's weekend.  What?  Some of you only get the Sunday?  What a rip-off.

I decided to upgrade my laptop for work to inject a bit of life into the old girl.  She's only 2 years old, mind you, but the cost of a new laptop is just ker-razy.  After much research I put the cash into 2 items which I believe will make the machine feel brand new.

1) OCS Agility 3 240GB SSD
2) Upgrade RAM to 8GB

I installed Windows 8 Preview Release to test.  I can't say I like the interface, but I love the speed in which it boots up.  From BIOS screen to Login in about 6 seconds.  After entering password, the desktop comes up in about 3 seconds.  Granted its fresh install and as windows always does, it will slow down, but I was still impressed.  Not so much with Win8 though.  I just don't see the need for that interface on a desktop pc.  Full screen apps just don't make sense on the desktop for me.  I think it will make for a decent tablet O/S though.

For comparison, I installed Fedora 17 as a dual boot option.  Boots slower, but I know it can be optimised to about a 3 second boot.  I'm not that good technically to do that exercise though.  The interface is Gnome Shell by default.  I hate to say it, but I think I hate it more than the Win8 one.  Thank heavens for KDE4.  At least I could make something comfortable to use if I need to.

I won't have too much time to tweak things though.  For work, I will be installing Win7 Enterprise.  *sigh*

Don't have enough hours worked on the laptop post upgrade to see the improvements.  I guess in the coming days, all will become clear.

Happy Father's day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unlocking Hera Tani

So, in the spirit of Elite Stories, thought I'd share my perspective of last night.