Reinstalling Windows 8

For no apparent reason, my Windows 8 installation just stopped working.  No amount of automated recovery was working, so I just reinstalled.

Decided to make a list of the must have apps that I install to make the bloody thing useful again.

First thing was Total Commander 8.  Can't live without it.

Also, Classicshell to make the Start Button behave.
7Zip to handle archives
Nero for burning (wanted to use CDBurnerXP freeware instead, but needed some extra's).
Chrome (restores sanity after the 15 minutes I had to use IE)
I have Office 2013, but holding off on installing it for now. 
Putty (I've missed you!)  My 3 servers are all headless, so I need putty just to log in and run some updates, etc.  Being Linux boxes, they're all fine.  They've been ticking over just fine as Windows decides to crap itself...
FooBar2000
VLC.
Steam (can't live without it)

Now it's reboot, update, reboot, install, reboot, etc, until everything is happy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unlocking Hera Tani

So, in the spirit of Elite Stories, thought I'd share my perspective of last night.