Faced with the prospect of learning Java or C# for Android programming, it was a no brainer.


Faced with the prospect of learning Java or C# for Android programming, it was a no brainer.  I am maintaining a Java Android App and I hate everything about it compared to other languages I am more comfortable with.  I know everybody has their quirks and prejudices, but having the ability to port my c# code to IOS and Windows with little effort is a great thing.

Also having the ability to do this for free using Mono for Android is a bonus.  I was looking forward to investing in AppMethod for my pet projects, but as a developer, their extortionary (!) licenses make it a non-starter.

Sadly, the 30 days I spend doing the Appmethod trial were the most productive I have ever been on a Mobile programming evaluation exercise.   The licensing model they employ is just not worth considering.

Whenever I try and learn a new tool, I find a nice project which I can use to cut my teeth on.

I've selected a Media Library Manager for my various media servers.  Not sure where it will go, but I will need to learn how to use local db storage via sqlite, http download/upload, xml parsing, json parsing, and interacting with the web api's of various other tools.

I hope I can make it work...

Tonight I got my environment up and running and the app deployed to an emulator.  It does nothing except look ugly ;) #android   #xamarin

Comments

eric j scott said…
Love reading your posts.
Aware I am not the target demographic.
Keep having fun
Ian Stoffberg said…
I should blog about these instead with more detail.  so lazy...

Popular posts from this blog

Unlocking Hera Tani

So, in the spirit of Elite Stories, thought I'd share my perspective of last night.