In a nutshell. I started a new save on No Man's Sky which has placed me on a radioactive world with a disabled ship...

In a nutshell.  I started a new save on No Man's Sky which has placed me on a radioactive world with a disabled ship and not enough resources nearby to repair.  I have died 3 times and have barely progressed.  Oh, and I am loving it.

So here is the long version.  I woke up near a building of some sort with a few canisters of resources nearby.  I gathered what I could, but immediately noticed I was taking radiation damage which was depleting my shields/armour fairly rapidly.

I entered the nearby building and scavanged a bit, but nothing substantial presented itself.  I didn't have a functioning scanner, so wasn't ablt to survey the surroundings too much.  After a few minutes I decided to set off for my ship which seemed to be a good distance away.   Probably my first big mistake!  Leaving a shelter.

I trekked off over the landscape, making the journey which I could not complete without replenishing my shield/armour, but I figured it find resources along the way.  Normally on most planets, you will get what you need fairly hassle free.

Not this planet bud.  Within 2 minutes I was in serious trouble.  Thankfully it was fairly rock and hilly so I new there would be caves so I headed in the general direction of the ship, but in the particular direction of the nearest mountain.  All my protection was depleted and I was rapidly dying when I spied a cave.  I made a bee-line for it and crawled inside.  My suit started repairing itself slowly while I use my available materials to repair my shield.  I harvested the only material I could find (iron) and set about crafting.  Mmmm.  Not much I could do and my harvesting/mining laser was nearly dead.  That needed carbon so I thought I'd get some of that.  Once my suit had repaired itself I ventured out and picked some big trees and started harvesting carbon.  Pretty soon the laser conked out, but the carbon was able to get it up and running again.  However it was back into the cave again first to recharge.  Analysing my situation I realised I had covered barely 10% of the distance to the ship.  Oh man.  My scanner wasn't working so I couldn't quickly get the platinum I needed to synthesise shielding shards to replenish my shield, so what now?  I could see the landscape ahead was mostly flat with a mountain out of reach at the end of the plain.  I decided to circle around my location for more minerals.  I got some zinc, platinum, plutonium, thamium and something else I'd never encountered before.  I had to keep running inside to recharge, but I was able to synthesise 2 shielding shards to recharge while I headed across the plain.

I set off as fast as I can, trying not to be distracted along the way.  I reached the mountain after using all my recharges and with all my equipment just barely above empty.  I had resigned myself to death when I spied a crevasse.  I slid and fell into it and headed deeper for shelter from the radiation.  SAVED!

I was close to my ship an salvation.  I just needed to stay alive.  I didn't have enough resources to build another shielding shard, but if I could just speed run to the ship, I'd be fine.  However, first had to recharge what I could just by waiting for the suit to heal itself.

I set off.  I was close.  I headed up towards to beacon on my radar and eventually crested a hill and saw the ship parked on  a small flat hilltop.  There was cargo / wreckage scattered nearby, but the ship had power and life support.  The engines  & shields were out, but I knew they could be repaired.  I was re-energised.

After taking stock, I set about repairing my suit scanner.  80 carbon did the trick.  I must have misread the screen earlier, because I should have repaired this back at the start location. Second mistake.

After scanning, I checked the ship's system to see what I needed.  Mmm. Minerals.  I looked around.  More bad news.  The minerals I need are even further away than the arduous trek I just did.  Plus, I have to come back!  Oh man...

I could just restart the save as it's literally a random spawn point.  A less hostile world maybe?

But no.  I feel a bit like Mark Watney.  I'm going to science the sh1t of this situation.  I am having so much fun achieving so little.

To be continued?  Who knows.

Just a thought.  The above gameplay is what I enjoy most about NMS.  The narrative in your head and the atmosphere created by the world's systems.  It was there from day 1 without the new enhancements and patches.  It's a shame more people didn't find the germ of the good game lurking inside the marketing horror that this game was.

I can't emphasise this enough.  In my previous playthrough, repairing the ship and leaving the first planet took less than an hour.  I've been playing this scenario probably 3 hours already and I still need to make that journey...

Comments

Andy Lewis said…
Is it Survival mode then? I started a new Normal mode playthrough and although it's much deeper there's something niggling me. I might give the survival mode a go.
Ian Stoffberg said…
Andy Lewis​ yep. survival mode.

Popular posts from this blog

Unlocking Hera Tani

So, in the spirit of Elite Stories, thought I'd share my perspective of last night.