Upgrading TM-AC900 to ASUS RT AC68 Firmware (2018)

I'm just posting this to confirm that the Amazon special refurbished TM-AC900 that I bought end of December 2017 can be upgraded to the latest ASUS Firmware support AIMesh WiFi

I used this tutorial.
https://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=92917711

It was purchased based on this $48 offer.  Price is now $60
https://deals.kinja.com/heres-an-insane-deal-on-our-readers-favorite-wi-fi-rout-1821739132

The downgrade process is a pain!

I used an Allen Key to help me keep the reset button in for what felt like a very long time, but was probably about 2 minutes.

Tip for the initial downgrade.
set your pc ip to 192.168.29.2
start a ping 192.168.29.1 -t  on cmd
hold down wps, wifi enable/disabe & reset while power is off.
power on
wait until fast flashing led
release wps, wifi, KEEP reset pressed (I used an Allen key)
once the ping comes up you can do upload of the tm downgrade firmware

The TM firmware downgrade worked fine and I was able to enable SSH without hassle or resorting to the fancy HTML tricks.

The SSH / Putty / WinSCP stuff must be done methodically, but thankfully the tutorial includes a verification step to ensure you did it correctly.

You will need to do a NVRAM reset and another recovery mode firmware flash to go from TMobile to Asus, but once that completes, you can upgrade to a newer Asus firmwares and get TONS more functionality from your router.  Performance and stability goes up as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unlocking Hera Tani

So, in the spirit of Elite Stories, thought I'd share my perspective of last night.