HTC Desire Goodness

A couple of weeks ago my HTC Hero was stolen. Woe is me. However, I had used it enough to become an Android fan. I knew that my replacement phone would be another Sense based Android. I had a contract upgrade due as well and plumped for a HTC Desire.

As Pat (from TLLTS) has been saying, the snapdragon processor is amazing. The phone is fast and responsive and makes the Hero seem pedestrian in comparison. Its quite a huge improvement in terms of usability.

Android 2.1 is awesome and 2.2 looks set to shake things up when it launches on HTC. I can't wait. Some of the things I have installed include C64, Sega Genesis and Amiga Emulators, C64 Sidtune players and the amazing Tower Raiders game. Of course mundane things like RSS, MAPS, Video and Audio are totally catered for. I believe there is a divx player working as well, but haven't seen it on the Android Marketplace yet.

The screen resolution is lovely and the camera seems unchanged in hardware from the Hero, but the 2.1 software offers more control over the camera settings which is nice. This phone also has an FM radio which is one of the main things I miss from my N95. Another thing is the frontfacing camera which is used for Video Chat. I am amused to think that Apple's new Ipod will probably have a front facing camera and many people will hail it as revolutionary. What a joke. The phone supports 7.2mb/s 3G connections which I have not really done much testing on. The local phone provider has 21mb/s network speeds using HSPA+, but I think the max speed supported on the Desire is HSUPA at 7.2mb/s. I think the upload max is 1.8mb/s which is pretty awesome too.

I have been using DoubleTwist to sync music to it from OSX, but am planning on switching my main desktop to Fedora in the coming weeks, unless I hit a stumbling block.

I can highly recommend Android to anybody looking for a new phone. Oh and by the way, the insurance finally agreed to replace my Hero and so I now also have a brand new HTC Legend in my possession. Will probably swap it out for another phone if I can.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unlocking Hera Tani

So, in the spirit of Elite Stories, thought I'd share my perspective of last night.