Steam error on OSX - Steam must be online

For the longest time, I have been getting an error when trying to run Steam on OSX.  As soon as I launched Steam, it would attempt to download patches and then fail miserably.

I have followed many guides and attempted many fixes and this problem just wouldn't go away.  So, being a "read the manual if all else fails", I decided to check the support site at www.steampowered.com

The solution to the problem was trivially easy.  Firstly, the error message was grossly inaccurate.  Steam complained that I needed to be online in order to update.  I clearly WAS online, but the actual problem was that the folder Steam was trying to update was write protected.

Turns out that I was executing the read only copy of the file in the mounted STEAM.DMG file. Aaaargh.  How could I be so stupid.  Well, i was launching steam using Spotlight.  So I would hit Command-Space and then type in S,T,E and and it was defaulting the installation folder instead of the Applications folder.  I just never noticed.   Arrrghh.

Anyway, problem is solved.  Yes, I was stupid.  Yes, I should read the screen properly.

Comments

Anonymous said…
can you explain more in detail how you did this?

Popular posts from this blog

Unlocking Hera Tani

So, in the spirit of Elite Stories, thought I'd share my perspective of last night.