Impossible Game

So lately, one of my distractions has been The Impossible Game.  I have it on multiple systems and both myself and my daughter have been playing it.

It's a game I dismissed at first for being unnecessarily difficult with very little reward.  Graphics are plain, music is catchy, but ultimately, I discarded it within 5 minutes of first picking it up.

I just can't leave it alone though.  I keep picking it up, trying to beat level 1!

It takes about 90 seconds to beat the first level if you play it perfectly.  That's the point though.  You HAVE to play it perfectly.  One mistake and you start again from the beginning.  It doesn't matter how far your have come, you always start at the beginning again.  Its frustrating, cruel and mocks you all the way with a lovely counter which increments with each failed attempt.  Chiding you, motivating you, but ultimately punishing you far more than the reward could ever be worth.

And yet.  I still keep playing.  My 11 year old daughter has unlocked all the levels using the practise mode and recently she played the perfect game and beat level 1.  I am so envious....and proud.

She could fail maths at school at this point, and I would remind her teacher that she beat level 1 on the Impossible Game.  It's that much of an achievement.  I get as much fun playing myself as watching her play.  This game has only one control. JUMP.  However, you have to get 2 things right.

1) When to Jump
2) When NOT to Jump.

I don't know how such a simple concept can make a game worth playing.  You can play it one handed if you liked.  Maybe she will do it one day just to make fun of my inept bumbling.

Sigh.  I highly recommend it to old school gamers who want a challenge.  It takes a fair amount of stubborn-ness and commitment to stick to, but I hope that one day I get the satisfaction of beating level 1.

See the video for an idea of gameplay.  And do give it a try.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unlocking Hera Tani

So, in the spirit of Elite Stories, thought I'd share my perspective of last night.