I logged a support call with Frontier Support for a death I felt was unfair or a result of a bug.

I logged a support call with Frontier Support for a death I felt was unfair or a result of a bug.  The following is the aftermath...

So I had an interesting week with Elite Dangerous.

I had recently purchased an Anaconda for 121mil credits due to the sale at Zaonce.  I had about 150mil in the bank, so was able to get a basic combat spec Anaconda with about 8mil in the bank.  With just under 7 mil as my insurance premium, I headed to the CG at 78 Ursai Majoris for some fun in the RES killing wanted folk.  Due to Townshend station being 13000 ls from the jump point, I literally went there to accept the mission and then went to the RES in HE BO with a view to cashing in every 24 hours or so.  After 2 days I had about 2.7mil in uncashed bounties and was heading for 3 mil before cashing in for the night.

There was a knock at the door.  CMDR Apex was there in real life to drop off a USB stick.  I've learnt not to leave E:D ships unattended so I killed the current ship I was fighting and exited the game to main menu.  Had chat outside and decided to head back into the game for a final crack at 3mil.  I started the game and watched the spinning Anaconda as I knew the game would resume fairly quickly.  I was totally unprepared for what happened next.  The graphics flickered black & white as if my monitor was having refresh rate problems.  Too late I heard E:D telling me my ship was compromised and I realised I had spawned into a death sequence.  I wondered what had happened.  I assumed I had spawned into the same space occupied by a large asteroid, but even so, I would have expected to see the game hud for a couple of seconds before I died.  I had literally gone from the loading screen into the death without a chance to maneuver or take evasive action.  As I said, I did not see any game UI.

A couple of seconds later I was looking at a 6.8 mil insurance bill which I dumbly paid.  1.3 mil left in the bank.  Of course it then dawned on me I had also lost 2.7 mil CG money.  double damn.  Now at this point, I have obviously died > 10 times since starting in December 2014, but I always felt I had done something to deserve my fate.  This time I felt differently.  

I decided to log a call with Frontier support.  I stated my case, explained about the 2.7mil credits I lost and went back to the game the next.  Being short 5 mil on insurance, I stripped my shield and fsd down to basics and managed to scrape together 7 mil.  This time, I knew that if I died again, I'd have to sell the Anaconda.  Considering I had bought it at a discount rate, I really didn't want to do it.  I continued the fight and was slowly working my way into top 70, top 40.  Considering I had started fairly late on the CG, I was pleased to get into top 40 with what seemed like a day or 2 to go.  I kept plugging away with my 2 pulse Anaconda.  There was only one more problem which was spoiling the fun.  Having sold my decent spec FSD, I had bought a cheap one that had a jump range of < 2ly.  I could not get from HE BO to Townshend in 78 UM.  WTF had I done.  My Anaconda was destined to stay in HE BO.  There were no better FSD's available for purchase.  I could not even jump to the nearest system which was about 4 ly away.  Aaaargh.  What's more, to cash in on the CG, I had to buy a sidewinder and fly back and forth. I did this each time hoping that a random FSD would spawn in He Bo.  It did not.

So back into the fray, accumulating funds for the CG.  Having had to strip the weapons down to 2 x Pulse lasers, it was a lot tougher and slower but I kept on.   I used the sidewinder to cash into the mission a couple of times per day.

Another day dawned and I woke up with a friendly email from Frontier support acknowledging that they had checked the logs and confirmed I had been killed by an asteroid which was a known issue (respawn bug?).  In a wonderful gesture of goodwill, they refunded me the full 2.7mil.  Of course, the money was not contributed towards the CG, but I didn't mind.  After chatting the CMDR Apex (whom I blame entirely for this!), I realised that if my death was not my fault, I had also lost the 6.8mil.  I updated my logged issue on the Frontier support site, explaining this detail and asking if they could reverse that as well.  I thought I was taking a chance, but if you don't ask...

I continued with the CG regardless.  I was contemplating selling the Anaconda at the end of the CG and going back to a combat python, but I decided to try one last thing.  I bought an upgraded FSD for my Sidewinder and flew back to He Bo.  I sold the FSD, swapped into the Anaconda and went to buy a new FSD.  I was offered the opportunity to repurchase the one I had just sold in the Sidey.  Yessssss...

I bought a Cobra and went back to buy a bigger FSD.   I did and flew back.  Tried it again and hallelujiah! I was able to jump almost 7ly.  Enough to get from He Bo to 78 UM so I could speed up my CG combat & claims.   What could be better.  I was so relieved it was tangible.  At this point, I had been playing without dying for a few days and had accumulated almost 5mil for the CG.  I had a bit of breathing room in terms of cash and I was able to breathe a bit easier knowing I could leave the system without having to sell the ship.

What's this?  Another email from Elite support.  I had been refunded the 6.8mil with a friendly message as well as encouragement for the CG.  WOW.   Soon after this, the CG ended.  Top 40 meant 9 mil credits deposited soon after.  What a crazy passage of 4 or 5 days.  I'm still grinning when I think about it.  Kudos to Frontier for the friendly and courteous support guys who helped out.  Even had I not had all the money refunded, I would have still enjoyed the experience of getting out of my self imposed marooning of my ship.  

Sorry for the long post.  I cut out quite a bit, but its late and my editing brain is damn near asleep...

Comments

Michael Birke said…
Kudos! You seem to have handled this the right way and have a hand with support. Doesn't always work out that nicely and I have heard very mixed reports from interactions with Frontier Support.

I think you could haved summed this up in 3 short paragraphs, but the struggle was epic and long, so something would have got lost in the process! :)
Never mind the long post - if someone (Frontier Dev.) does something nice/good/unexpected I think it is out duty to tell everyone else about it.

More often than not, we tend to rant about issues and other CMDR's being a**es, etc.. So I think personally a nice positive story is more than welcome, even if it is a long one :)
Ian Stoffberg said…
Michael Birke I spent many 2 nights going to bed with the dread of selling my anaconda and the futility of my situation had me in a mental anguish. I had to share some of the suffering. 3 short paragraphs was not enough. ;)
Michael Birke said…
Ian Stoffberg oh my! :)

In case it happens again, hopefully not, you can usually buy a lower value ship from the insurance sum insufficient for the Anaconda, and fit it very well if you sell some expensive Anaconda modules. Cobra, T6, Vulture e.g..

This way you could leave the Anaconda in drydock till you got the money to fit and run it properly again.
Spencer Cook said…
nice, and well done
Colin Ritter said…
Ultimately it costs them nothing but customer goodwill to refund the credits, especially when they verified its the result of a bug.
Ian Stoffberg said…
Michael Birke​ that was always an option. My panic was not knowing if I could ever leave the system in the anaconda. If the cobra Fsd upgrade trick didn't work out i might have waited until Powerplay to see if it affected the market and available Fsd options in the outfitters. My anaconda was bought for 121 Mil so has a slightly lower insurance rebuy. Wanted to hang on to it.

Popular posts from this blog

Unlocking Hera Tani

So, in the spirit of Elite Stories, thought I'd share my perspective of last night.