#DepecheMode #DepecheMusing #MartinGore #U2

#DepecheMode #DepecheMusing #MartinGore #U2

If you watch the U2 movie Rattle & Hum, there's a bit where they're singing Sunday, Bloody Sunday. It's years after the song was written and the events that inspired that song had just reoccured in Ireland. As Bono is singing "how long, how long must we sing this song", he appears to have a moment where the futility of the words hits him hard. Either that or he is a great actor, but to me it seemed like he had a really genuine moment of disgust with singing and frustration for the audience chanting and enjoying something with a tragic source. Years later I'm relistening to a lot of older Depeche Mode tracks at random and I realise how much I love Black Celebration. It's just a great album with so many good songs. Even the B-sides are some of my favourites. At any rate, I've always been drawn to New Dress. I think the it started with this line:
"In black townships fires blaze"
I always identified that with South Africa and it made that line very personal. Even more so than the "Free Nelson Mandela" songs by many others. I guess it was because my favourite band was thinking about us in some small way. The Pet Shop Boys more frivoulously referred to us again in "It's alright", but "New Dress" was a favourite for me. I always loved the bit which goes:

"You can't change the world
But you can change the facts
And when you change the facts
You change points of view
If you change points of view
You may change a vote
And when you change a vote
You may change the world..."

I love the synths, the percussion, the rhythym of that section and while it's not a popular Mode track. It's one I rarely skip.

It's depressing how relevant the rest of the song remains.
Sex jibe husband murders wife
Bomb blast victim fights for life
Girl, 13, attacked with knife
Jet airliner shot from sky
Famine horror, millions die
Earthquake terror figures rise
Prospects better premier says
Within sight are golden days

And always, the media distracts us with
Princess Di is wearing a new dress...

Martin Gore probably didn't expect the lyrics to be so timeless.



Whatever your views on Brexit, Guns, Climate Change, Abortion, Gays, Sexual Harrasment, Taxes, Right vs Left and now Net Neutrality.

"You may change the world"

Comments

Yamilka Araya said…
Completamente de acuerdo ..

Popular posts from this blog

Unlocking Hera Tani

So, in the spirit of Elite Stories, thought I'd share my perspective of last night.