When I was in high school I watched the movie Pretty in Pink.

When I was in high school I watched the movie Pretty in Pink. While I found the movie ok, I was blown away by the soundtrack. At the time I couldn't afford it, but it was one of those things I always wanted and looked out for. I was married 10 years later and shared that conversation with my wife and probably mentioned it a few times. At some point in the last 5 years or so, she found the cd and bought it for me. I was blown away that the remembered or cared ;)

I listened to it and didn't get that recognition and connection I was expecting. Today I realised why. I did some reading up on a track of New Order that I'm particularly fond of and I realised it was omitted from the Soundtrack, but was very definitely tied to a key moment in the movie where it fit the scene perfectly.

In the background, I am listening to the 17min + version of that track and it's just sweeping me off on a trip! There are shorter versions that are easy to find, The long version is on the 2002 New Order release RETRO cd 5 and on the Remastered version of their album Low Life (1985) which was remastered and released as a 2 CD Version in 2008.

From the wikipedia entry:
The album version of the song was featured in the Academy Award-nominated short film More by Mark Osborne, the film Pretty in Pink, the trailer for the 1992 film Night of the Living Dead, and the CSI: Crime Scene Investigation episode "Compulsion". It was also used in an American Masters documentary about writer Truman Capote, in the fifth episode of Netflix' Stranger Things, as well as in "Rust" – a black-and-white music video by Nenko Genov, for the E3 2015 trailer of the video game Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain and by comedian Sam Hyde for the trailer to his web series "Kickstarter TV".


I hope there's somebody else who "gets" this track. I can't be alone!
#neworder #elegia

Stranger things version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvfTmwLUQMs

Metal Gear Solid 5 Trailer Version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_8Qi-I4o9E

The 17 min version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU_6nOesXtQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU_6nOesXtQ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unlocking Hera Tani

So, in the spirit of Elite Stories, thought I'd share my perspective of last night.