So my UNRAID Server has been warning me about an imminent drive failure and last week it happened.

So my UNRAID Server has been warning me about an imminent drive failure and last week it happened. One of my 8TB's died. Sadly, although it's well within warranty, the fact that I broke it out of an 3.5" external enclosure voided my warranty.

Anyhoo, I took the opportunity to buy 2 more drives and a UPS. We've been having power outages these past 2 weeks, so I decided a UPS was way overdue.

I bought a cheap (local) Mecer 2000VA UPS and hooked everything up. Unraid wouldn't see it, but I installed the NUT plugin from the Github Link on this page.
https://forums.unraid.net/topic/40690-plug-in-nut-network-ups-tools/


The Plugin had a detect UPS option that worked. All I needed to do was save all the configs and restart the daemon and voila, detected!

Another nice bonus was that Unraid could give me the barcode serial of the failed drive so it was dead easy to remove. Sweet!

I have a spare drive now for the next failure, so it will be a quick swap out next time. May it be in 2 years or so, at least...

Yes, I know #FREENAS and others exist. I happen to think #UNRAID is worth the money.
https://forums.unraid.net/topic/40690-plug-in-nut-network-ups-tools/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unlocking Hera Tani

So, in the spirit of Elite Stories, thought I'd share my perspective of last night.