RemotePlay

This is a neat feature on the PS3 which has no equivalant on the 360. Basically, you use the wireless capabilities of both devices to stream movies / pictures / sounds / games from the PS3 to the PSP. The PSP in effect becomes a remote screen of the PS3 and the PS3 will send screen output over wireless to the PSP.

Tonight I tested an mp4 video I downloaded from the Playstation Store streamed to the PSP. It played instantly with no buffering, etc. Considering that the video is Hidef, the scaling to the psp low resolution small screen was pretty good.

To take it to the next level (as one does), I fired up Nero MediaHome on my PC ensured that the PS3 detected the UPNP media streaming server on the network. I then started RemotePlay and the PSP was able to browse video's on my PC's hard disk and watch them. For those of you who don't get the significance I had the following setup:

PS3 connected to PC over Wired Ethernet
PSP connected to PS3 via Wireless
PS3 accessing UPNP MediaHome server on PC
PS3 accessing Video/Audio/Photos served via UPNP
PSP accessing PS3 accessing PC

Yes, there was an initial buffer period of about 5-10 seconds before the videos started playing, but I am not complaining. Its still pretty cool.

With the firmware on my PSP, I can also access the PS3 via the internet so I could, in effect:

Goto any Mugg and Bean, Airport or Wireless Hotspot, connect to my PS3 (if its on) via ADSL and browse the contents stored there or on my PC's hard disk. I am sure its not a feature I will use very often, but its nice to know that all this wireless connectivity works. Of course the possibilities for voice communication using the PSP as a smartphone are intriguing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unlocking Hera Tani

So, in the spirit of Elite Stories, thought I'd share my perspective of last night.