Distro hopping

So I've been made to feel guilty for running openSUSE 11. Its the distro of the devil. Patent deals with MS, and all kinds of hatred towards Mono thrown into the mix.

What can I say? Its an extremely well thought out and reliable distro. I have had awesome use out of version 11 which is the first version I honestly will say I prefer to Ubuntu. I have used Ubuntu primarily now for 3 years and have found the need to change.

I won't criticise too much, but I will say that my experiences with Mandriva 2008, OpenSUSE 11 and Mint 5 have all been *very* positive and certainly more productive than with Ubuntu.

Recent conversations about release cycles leave me leaning away from distros with a 6 month release cycle. I think we've reached the point where the amount of functionality going in is so great that the testing cycle is getting short changed. That is definitely an opinion that I subscribe to and I have taken a bit of flak for that. Some people seem to like the quicker refresh of these distros and who am I to blame them.

If I had to rate the distros on various criteria, I favour reliability above all and openSUSE 11 has been the model for me. I am not a die-hard Slackware / Arch user and probably never will be. My choice of distro is largely due to the fact that I need South African mirrors for the update servers for any distro I use, which sort of limits which ones I try.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unlocking Hera Tani

So, in the spirit of Elite Stories, thought I'd share my perspective of last night.