Windows 7 Thoughts

Its better than XP.
Its better than Vista.

I don't think it stacks up to OSX or Linux when it comes to speed or general responsiveness though.

Didn't have much in the way of crashes although frequently encountered pauses / non-responsive apps which would appear dead, but then resume after a few seconds.

Much simplified and usable configuration options compared to Vista. I found working with Vista like playing a really hard puzzle game. Nothing seemed to work in a logical way and there were too many screens to configure something as simple as a network. It was frustrating to work with compared to OSX or Linux and even XP.

It still *IS* XP under the gloss though. The network domain reboots and frequent reboots after installing apps or patches make it unusable for me.

I didn't use much of the Microsoft supplied apps, relying on open source equivalents for web browsing, downloading, music, podcasts,etc. During this time I also checked out Google Chrome. In the same way that the app store makes the iphone useful, Firefox addons make it indispensable. I have no plans to use Chromium on Linux until they have a similar lineup of extensions to match the ones I use daily in Firefox.

Would I recommend Windows 7 to anybody? Yes. Unless I feel they are ready to UPGRADE to Linux or OSX. I think its a decent O/S and in a corporate environment, it makes sense compared to Vista.

Its not as fast as Microsoft is claiming though. I have it on my wife's netbook and the delays & pauses are even more noticeable there.

For the record, my wife's netbook has 2GB ram and my workstation 4gb.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unlocking Hera Tani

So, in the spirit of Elite Stories, thought I'd share my perspective of last night.