Be prepared? Nah.


Be prepared? Nah.

So on the spur of the moment, I sat down this evening and thought I should do some exploring. I've never done a dedicated trip before so I headed out in my stripped out Anaconda with a 30+ ly jump range but taking along some SRV's as well.

After 3 hours I ended up about 1230LY from LTT 4961. I'm finding stars & worlds with nobody else's name on them and I am starting to scan the bigger objects. Not sure how much use it is to scan the worlds that are < 2000 km in diameter.

I landed on a system near Shapley 1 in my Anaconda. Very rugged ice world where I picked up some materials (nothing valuable).

I had wondered off so far from my Anaconda that I realised that it would be easier to have it fetch me. The bloody thing parked on top of a nearby cliff and I spent the next 30 minutes driving up and sliding down trying to find a 4x4 route to the top. I'm pretty sure my Annie was punishing me for this sudden unplanned trip, but I was determined to "Run up that hill" without giving it the satisfaction of thwarting me.

On my way to Shapley 1, I managed to lose 3% hull with a careless mistake during fuel scooping. I guess it was a knock to the pride I needed. I will try and preserve the hull strength more carefully in future...

Not sure if I am going to go as far as Sag A. Who knows. In the attached image you can see the hill I had to climb. It was steeper than it looked, I promise...

Comments

Andy Lewis said…
Haha, on ice too, I bet that was murder. I'd have gone somewhere else to re-recall it.

Don't worry, I lost 5% hull at the 2kLy mark and then another 6% at 14kLy, both from landing mistakes; make sure you scan and observe the gravity before choosing your planets especially if you have lower class thrusters.

Fly safe CMDR
Dennis Wronka said…
Have a good trip! Fly safe, Commander!
Michael Birke said…
Seems you got bitten by the exploration & discovery bug. A common disease that affects people beyond the bubble. ;)
ollie clark said…
All the best exploration trips are unplanned. :-)
Ian Stoffberg said…
I'm still in shock after last night. I had fired up the game with a view to kicking some pirate asp in a HazRes. I had G+ open on this community and was reading about other people's trips. While loading the game I googled an exploration build for the Anaconda and idly considered it. 5 minutes later I was amending the build to accomodate the SRV's and extra fuel tanks. I googled a system to jump to and off I went. First mistake was my power build didn't take the SRV's into account so I ended up on 103% systems usage. I have worked around it by disabling the SRV system totally while jumping. Saves 7% I think. This is my ExploraKonda build (more or less). http://coriolis.io/outfit/anaconda/04A5D6A5D5A8D5C--------0202------3j1414f5f5v4f448242i2f.Iw18gDBU8Q==.Aw18ZlA=?bn=Explorer
Ian Stoffberg said…
Michael Birke you remember the lack of planning ? I should have tweaked things a bit more. Would have been nice to hit the 40 mark.

Popular posts from this blog

Unlocking Hera Tani

So, in the spirit of Elite Stories, thought I'd share my perspective of last night.