So, in the spirit of Elite Stories, thought I'd share my perspective of last night.

So, in the spirit of Elite Stories, thought I'd share my perspective of last night.

We had barely met and there we were suiting up and using our limited funds to buy guns, ammo and gear for the mission we'd been thrust into.

It wasn't an honour we'd earned. Others had died, we were next. There were no reinforcements. Nobody was coming to save us.

In fact, quite the opposite was true. We were going in to rescue a squad who were sheltered and taking fire. They had sustained heavy losses and couldn't hang on much longer.

We headed purposefully down the streets, checking our guns and making sure we had our grenades and medpacks on standby.

It was brutal, but we made it to the rendezvous, battling past waves of patrols sent to stop us. We were in trouble, but there was always a teammate to lend a hand or a hail of bullets. Somehow we made it. Learning to watch our for each other and keeping a wary eye out for signs of sniper activity.

We scavenged more ammo and medikits along the way, but made liberal use of both, somehow shooting our way into the shelter and taking out some of the enemies who had breached the walls via explosives.

With a stockpile of ammo handy and some cover, we bunkered down and started the pushback. It was a slow as there were 2 big sheltered machine gun emplacements just pinning us back. Running away from a particularly vicious volley I headed for shelter and encountered a staircase. Mmm, a little bit of height could be very useful in this situation.

I headed up to the roof and managed to get a nice view of the 2 gunners and was able to distract them enough for my trusty mates to finish them off. We had no time to relax as reinforcements were deployed. A whole bunch of them. Not ours, though.

We gritted teeth and kept going. They breached the entranceway and were causing havoc inside. We just kept going, somehow staying alive. Resorting to hand to hand combat when out of bullets. I don't know how long this lasted, but we finally did it. We rearmed and headed out to finish them off.

Man, we could have used some rocket launchers at this point. 3 armoured and sheltered snipers on top of a large bus controlled the area we needed to cross to get to them. We tried an were repelled several times. We took out their supporting infantry, but they seemed to have a huge stockpile of weaponry.

We were all down to our last strength, and we had each saved the other numerous times. I could see that this attrition was leading to an inevitable conclusion.

I decided to do a suicide flank move. With almost no energy, I waited for them to assault my squad as they had done relentlessly. I hid and crawled along until I was close enough to get a flanking position.

I knew if I could get a few shots in, that would destract them and turn them to face me, allowing a friendly sniper to get in a few shots.

It worked. We took them out one by one. Me distracting with a few shots and then taking cover. As they moved, they took damage from the other flank. It was beautiful. The last sniper was unmoved though. He focussed on the task and I couldn't get a bead on him. So I did the unthinkable. I ran alongside the bus and waited quietly. When I heard him firing, I jumped up and climbed onto the roof. He didn't suspect a thing. I opened fire from point blank and empty my last couple of rounds. My ammo was spent. He turned around to kill me and I hit him with my rifle. He staggered, but I was saved by a double volley that split his skull and dropped him next to me. Friendly fire. Saved.

Apology.
Due to my lack of planning, I never properly introduced the squad. When I needed to name them at the end, it would have broken the style of the writing so I left them out. Thank you to Good Guys Gaming GGG and Max Acceleration for keeping me alive.

It had been a suicidal move away from the team. I had fully expected to die. Why was I still alive? The simple answer was Teamwork.

Next time, though, I better tell the guys when I'm about to do something so stupid.

Comments

Cool recounting of of adventures!
Ian Stoffberg said…
Good Guys Gaming GGG
I almost didn't post it.  Besides the writing mistake I made, I also only had my perspective of the fight to draw from.  I remember the scrapes I went through and emphasised those only.  Meanwhile left and right you and Max Acceleration were saving me and taking point.  I guess the narrative is driven by my perspective, but it isn't an accurate retelling of your contribution.
Ian Stoffberg It's still really good though and overall I fell we were a team :)
Very funny when Max Acceleration got stuck on a car.
It was a heroic and awesome move and helped us finally take those guys down hard! Teamwork is critical in The Division when you are still low level. Constantly reviving each other was also key to keeping us alive! Fun night of gaming!
Ian Stoffberg said…
Good Guys Gaming GGG
Max Acceleration As a matter of occupational health and safety, I do think friend Max needs to use cover more.  There were a number of those "I'll step out of cover and finish this one off" moments.  To be followed immediately by "Oh, I didn't know you there were 2 of you left" a moment.
Good Guys Gaming GGG lol, that totally sucked! He was there dying and just out of reach and I was unable to get unstuck. I was just standing there, taking fire and watching a team member slowly dying but you ran up and saved him before it was too late and then after hitting every button I could I finally broke free and took cover before dying. It was a tense moment but you saved the situation!
The Division is certainly better with a team!
Max Acceleration The A Team!
Ian Stoffberg yep! I ran out of cover too much. Lesson learned! I also learned that not all cover is good and sometimes your exposed to fire when you think your safe.
Max Acceleration Yeah man, you went full Rambo a lot!
Ian Stoffberg said…
Max Acceleration
 That moment was inspired 100% by the following thought process.  It's 12am.  I need to sleep.  We are not doing appreciable damage to these guys.  They have the high site and we are basically going to die.  We'll have to replay a section again and I honestly need to be up at 5am.  If we die, I'll quit the game, and you guys will probably finish the mission without me.  I'll have to do it again later before the next FPS Night.  It literally was a desperate move on my part.  Earlier in the session I had tried flanking and it sorta worked.   The final bit jumping on the bus was NOT planned at all.  However that sniper seemed to prioritise you two more than me which allowed me to run around the back and jump up.

Running out of bullets was also stupid as I had other weapons.  Thankfully hitting him allowed you guys a clean shot and he was toast.  Not bravery, desperation!
Ian Stoffberg said…
Max Acceleration
Good point.  Watch out for angled fire or snipers from elevated positions!
Andy Bishop said…
An awesome tale, made better by the one-man perspective I thought, showing the thoughts behind the actions. You clearly play often with your teammates ;-)
I think we all learned a lot from the mission and we will be even better next time!
HeadBurro Antfarm Join us, it is fun. GW2 with guns and waaaayyy more NYC accents.
HeadBurro Antfarm Tom Clancy's The Division on PC. It's been lots of fun so far!
Ian Stoffberg We were all getting pretty desperate at that point. Those guys had us pinned so bad! Yes, as soon as he stood to fight you both Good Guys Gaming GGG and I opened up on him. We were watching for just that sort of opportunity and it paid off! Good game!
HeadBurro Antfarm Not sure about zombies (unless they come later) but a plague kills most of the people in New York and criminals seize control of the city. You are a "sleeper agent" that gets activated to help take back the city.
HeadBurro Antfarm No zombies! That is soooooo last year.
Ian Stoffberg said…
Andy Bishop
With dodgy VOIP config (my bad), scheduling nightmares,  probably 5000km between team mates, I didn't give us much of a chance.  We've only ever really winged up in Elite on occasion or perhaps in Doom, but nothing like co-op.  It was so exciting I never thought to adjust my volume levels.  I didn't want to break anything.  I'll tweak it over the coming days.  I've got a funeral tomorrow, but I will try and sneak some time in tonight and Sunday.  I'm really not very good at FPS games, but co-op like Borderlands or Dead Island style gameplay I can live a bit longer!

Popular posts from this blog

Unlocking Hera Tani