VAIO E-Series on Windows 7

I've mentioned before that my Windows 7 installation feels slow and sluggish. Having used Linux on the same box for almost a month now, I was curious enough to check out the slow windows performance this morning.

Firstly, I was shocked that the 130gb partition was almost full. I just had 1 VM on it (XP ironically). This was about 40 gb. Nearly everything else was original Vaio supplied software.

I was shocked at the amount of OEM software on this machine. I was going to blog that I have uninstalled 40 apps already, but its actually more. I have uninstalled about 30 apps already and there's still > 10 left in the control panel add / remove applet. What is truly scary is that this is only software with the word VAIO in the title. This excludes the Mcafee/Symantec/Adobe software which I am also going to remove. With names like "VAIO Content Monitoring Service", I am only too happy to remove these bits of bloat.

I wonder if this software is being provide for my benefit or some nameless content provider.

I wondered why this machine took so long to boot up on Windows compared to Linux. Also it should explain why VM's ran so slowly. Its like taking a thoroughbred horse and making it pull a carraige filled with rocks in a race.

Hopefully once I have done the first batch of my estimate 60 uninstallshield processes, this machine will still boot up!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unlocking Hera Tani

So, in the spirit of Elite Stories, thought I'd share my perspective of last night.