Just installed Ubuntu 11.04 and experiencing Unity for the first time.

Just installed Ubuntu 11.04 and experiencing Unity for the first time. My head hurts. I can't imagine what it must be like for new users. Is this the future? I feel like I'm playing a complex strategy game without following the tutorials first. I can't imagine what can be done to remedy this. At 1900x1200 it looks absolutely dire. I just wanted to check out the latest mythbuntu, but realising why I stuck with Fedora 14 so long. I'm planning an F15 install on my laptop and dreading what Gnome3 is going to be like. Seems like XCFE / KDE4 will become my default from now on. Thankfully the one Mint box I still have in the family remains a sane choice I can recommend to others.

Comments

Patrick Davila said…
Mythbuntu ships with XFCE
Ian Stoffberg said…
i am currently apt-getting mythbuntu-desktop over my default ubuntu install. i guess in future i would start with server edition and add mythbuntu packages after
Patrick Davila said…
If you're setting up a dedicated MythTV box I recommend installing Mythbuntu, Mythdora or LinHES. They pretty much have everything you'll need
you are not the first person to complain about Unity. I'm not sure what the devs were thinking. Most of the Ubuntu faithful have switched to Gnome or KDE after being dissatisfied with Unity.
BTW -whats the plan with MythTV?

Popular posts from this blog

Unlocking Hera Tani

So, in the spirit of Elite Stories, thought I'd share my perspective of last night.