Found this on reddit. Amazing depth to this game. Interesting that you can have different play styles...

Found this on reddit. Amazing depth to this game. Interesting that you can have different play styles...

https://www.reddit.com/r/ARK/comments/886yqv/learned_about_mega_rabies_today/

My crew and I are set up on the shores of the Viking 1 spawn zone in Ragnarock. We play on a hardcore mode server, for those who don't know that means we loose our character if we die. We have mitigated this a bit by having a "cornerstone" in our tribe. Basically just a character from a random account that keeps our belongings in the tribe if we all wipe on an adventure. It's also worth noting that my favorite part of Ark is the adventure! So I tend not to research things online before checking it out myself.

Just across the pond and up the hill from our beach is a cool looking castle ruin. It's a location I have explored a few times but never find anything inside. I keep going back because my tribe mates swear it is filled with spiders and bats. I want to get a look at them myself but have been met with disappointment so far.

So, with this goal in mind, I hop on this morning and fly over to the ruins in the middle of the night on my pteranodon . Sure enough the once empty castle is filled to the brim with bats and spiders that immediately mob me. Though it is easy enough to fly away and head back to the base. I don't even worry when I see a few following me because our base has a bunch of Species X on the roof and it obliterates most of the wild stuff that comes our way.

Well for some reason the settings on the plants were no longer targeting wild creatures. But fine, I will fight these bats myself! But not really. Turns out the two that followed me back are in the 200's and they nearly kill me and the pteranodon. So I ditch the bird and run into the house.

Surprisingly one of my tribe mates is up and moving around, though they are normally never on this early. I try to get his attention over voice but he doesn't respond, so I just start t-bagging in front of his character while yelling about bats and throw the door open and start firing crossbow bolts into the bat crowded darkness.

This gets my friends attention who also starts firing into these bats who luckily can't fit through the door. At some point one of us throws a voice chat invite together so we can communicate. I'm down to 10 shots, from my original 50 when one of the bats dies and the other starts flying away. But I'm greedy and have been firing tranquilizer darts and am hoping this is a sign I can turn this fiasco into a new bat tame. (completely unaware at the time that they have to be passively tamed.)

I'm a ways into chasing him when he turns his ugly mug around, bites me, and flies into to darkness to probably never be seen again. Leaving me with the lovely parting gift of MEGA RABIES. I ask my friend what that will do while I head back to the base, I'm pretty isolated on the beach and don't want the bat to come back for me unexpectedly. He doesn't know either so nothing stops me from wandering into the base.

This turns out to be the worst possible idea. He starts yelling that I gave him Mega Rabies and, before I can even investigate, my own Mega Rabies kills me. I have no visuals or notifications of what is going on while my re spawn timer counts down. Just my friend cursing over and over while he mentions everyone else in the tribe contracting the rabies and dying in their sleep. Including our cornerstone. At one point he looses the rabies, then contracts it again from one of the tames that has it. Dying the second time around.

Our entire tribe is wiped out. EXCEPT for one guy that we find with 10 health left. Just the day before I had siphoned blood from a bunch of people to create blood packs and get the chance to slowly use them to build his health back up. I shoot him a text message asking if he can get on before work today and invite us all back to the tribe. I wait around for about a half hour before hopping off to get ready for work myself.

Once ready for work, I grab my phone of the charger to find he has been messaging me to figure out what happened. He hopped on the game, walked outside, and got one shot by the bat that apparently came back for a second helping in the middle of the day.

This is exactly the sort of thing that makes me love ARK. I never would have expected the game to have something like Mega Rabies in it. Yeah, everyone is pissed at me. But this is the adventurous aspect of the game that I love.

TL;DR: Contracted mega rabies and gave it to my entire, mostly asleep, tribe on a hardcore server. We all died.




https://www.reddit.com/r/ARK/comments/886yqv/learned_about_mega_rabies_today

Comments

Dennis Wronka said…
I also learned about Mega Rabies last night, but only by reading about it when researching the dangers of caves, as I will have to go inside one sooner or later if I want to reach the bosses.
Certainly sounds like a mean thing to contract.

Popular posts from this blog

Unlocking Hera Tani

So, in the spirit of Elite Stories, thought I'd share my perspective of last night.