Whenever I start listening to a Mode album, I go through this phase of discovering and getting into the tracks as I...

Whenever I start listening to a Mode album, I go through this phase of discovering and getting into the tracks as I develop a feel for each one. My favourite track varies over time and I'll come back to the album and realize a I like most of it and love some of the tracks just a bit more than the rest. Today the Worst Crime just won me over.

I think it's a combination of the soft vocal and the minimalist arrangement. I got the sense that the vocal married with the subtle backing was so moving. This extract also just resonated with the world. Every now and then a subtle guitar or synth note will punctuate the vocal. I sit and wonder how the song would be without that note. Jazz fans talk about the space between notes, but a band that makes music for 30 years can do it in rock or electronica and I would imagine its true for really talented musicians in every genre. Mmm. RunDMC & Beastie Boys did that when they were younger so maybe I'm full of crap.


This verse got me. #topical

Blame misinformation, misguided leaders
Apathetic hesitation, uneducated readers
For whatever reasons we now find ourselves in this
We are all charged with treason
And there's no one left to hear
And oh, we had so much time
How could we commit the worst crime?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1Wvvk4YtmE

Btw, the sound quality on YT doesn't do it justice. I have been listening to it uncompressed on my phone and in Foobar2000. Much better.

#depechemode #spirit


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1Wvvk4YtmE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unlocking Hera Tani

So, in the spirit of Elite Stories, thought I'd share my perspective of last night.