WINFF X265 Convert older AVI and MP4 to MKV H265

I've been idly thing of a way to convert a whole lot of older standard def video files to a more efficient format.  With the advent of h264 and more recently x265, I wondered what options I had for a hassle free conversion tool.

I've been googling this randomly over the past few weeks, encountering lots of links, but nothing that appealed to me.  Endless scripts & tools with weird dependency issues that I didn't want to entertain.  Sadly, I even downloaded a few before deciding to solve the problem myself.

In a nutshell, I googled a ffmpeg command line with appeared to work with my test file.  I ran it on a few files and appeared to snip two-thirds off the file size without much tweaking.  Now, I'm sure the fussy ones among you could do it better, but here's what I settled on as my current solution.

As some of you know, I am partial to Winff as my weapon of choice.  I have been using for years and have contributed code to the project to add features I wanted for myself (selfishly).  I created a X265 preset from the command line and had a drag & drop solution to my problem.


The whole point of WinFF is to be open to new presets/file formats & conversions just by making new presets.  I tested the preset by dropping 1.7gb of files on it.  The converted files took quite a while (almost an hour, I think), but the results were worth it. 550mb after the conversion.

 www.winff.org - This is my Swiss army knife.

If you want to give it a try, save the following into a text file called x265v1.wff and import it into WinFF.


 
   
    -c:v libx265 -preset medium -x265-params crf=28 -c:a aac -strict experimental -b:a 128k
    mkv
    X265 Conversions
 



Please send any suggested improvements back via the comments ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unlocking Hera Tani

So, in the spirit of Elite Stories, thought I'd share my perspective of last night.