If, like me, you grew up with a Commodore 64 (or Spectrum/Amstrad/Atari), alongside Elite, you might have played a...

If, like me, you grew up with a Commodore 64 (or Spectrum/Amstrad/Atari), alongside Elite, you might have played a ton of Nemesis, Delta, Uridium, R-Type, etc.  Going to Amiga, I moved on to Hybris/ Battle Squadron/ SWIV, etc.  Never got into the Dreamcast  Shootemups, but this old game took me back.  Decent visuals and of course a hail of bullets.  It has 2D levels rendered in a 3D engine which means interesting transitions between & during levels, especially with boss battles.  It's on Sale this week on Steam at a ridiculous price.    If the above ramble brings back any fond memories, follow the link to the free demo and download.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/207040/

It is cross platform and available on Mobile, but unless you have a decent controller setup (Moga/Nvidia Shield), I wouldn't bother.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaO1djQMhF4

Comments

We have a lot in common game wise Ian Stoffberg
Ian Stoffberg said…
Jim Pettener yes but do you have a ring tone of a remix of Commando from Rob Hubbard. ;) So glad to find like minded people. Very few IRL people in Cape Town who even know what a SID or Blitter is. #gurumeditation
Ian Stoffberg I have many more memories that I will explore tomorrow. I love to reminisce about my golden years, as they were special to me on so many levels.
Ian Stoffberg said…
Jim Pettener I think those years remain my most fond times. Lookup Reyn Ouwehand on YouTube for a fun trip.
I play this on PC. Voice overs are all in Japanese but it's a fun game! English in subtitles.
Phil Hibbs said…
I've worked with Ben Daglish, went to Glastonbury & BGG with him.
Ian Stoffberg said…
Cool.  I loved the secret demo for in the Tony Crowther game Trap.  I think Ben did the music with the phrase from the Jeff Wayne War of the Worlds music.  Never liked the game, but I would fire it up now and then to listen to the music.
Martin Chalk said…
I've always loved shmups! When you said Nemesis, R-Type, Hybris, Battle Squadron and the like, I was on your wavelength.

My second favourite all-time arcade game is Vulcan Venture (Nemesis 3), first being Bubble Bobble. I also used to play Side Arms, Slap Fight, Xevious, Xain D'Sleena and many other similar style games "back in the day".

That game reminds me of 1943,1944 etc. I'll give a look thanks!

And my phone ringtone is the music from Mirrors Edge, even after 8 years. 😎
Ian Stoffberg said…
Martin Chalk
slapfight!  GREAT.  DropZone C64, Silkwom Amiga, Rygar, Dangar.  I think I'm missing an obvious one...
What a fantastic price. Looks so bloody hard though ha :)
Can this be played as multiplayer? I'd love to team up with another. Make it so :)
Martin Chalk said…
Ian Stoffberg , obvious ones for Amiga?
Xenon II
Menace
Blood Money
Turrican / Turrican II...
Martin Chalk  Every single one of those. Wow, awesome. Xenon 2 megablast. Even had the track, as I've always been into bomb the base and dance music.

Menace was my first love... Danger, Danger, as the boss loomed.

Blood money was fantastic. Turrican, liked, but not enough for it to be a smash hit for me. Think I was probably rubbish at it ;)
Ian Stoffberg said…
Martin Chalk all good. Bomb the bass. Revenge of the Mutant Camels? Not as good but trippy. There was an amiga shooter like Dropzone/Defender.
Great tip. Purchases this and several others in the Steam shoot em up sale.
Ian Stoffberg said…
Martin Chalk Bingo!  That was a good 'un.  Silky smooth animation and lots of death dealing. ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Unlocking Hera Tani

So, in the spirit of Elite Stories, thought I'd share my perspective of last night.