Inspired by Gillian Thornhill , I remember an encounter where a High R.E.S.

Inspired by Gillian Thornhill , I remember an encounter where a High R.E.S. proved to be too much for my greedy sense of judgement to handle.  I took on one or two targets to many, but I scraped out of there with single digit hull and around 3 minutes oxygen.  I hightailed it as fast as I could, which was limited by gravitational forces around me.  I jumped into range of the station and frantically entered the docking procedure.  As I lined up I was down to 8 or 9 seconds as I was (TOO SLOWLY) approaching the toaster racks.  As an inexperienced pilot, I had  never rushed docking before, but I had never seen the oxygen dip so low before and I had no idea what would happen.  Would I go into some kind of oxygen depletion for a few more seconds or would the game just blank to a death message text screen and then a rebuy?  I didn't want to find out so I thrusted some more, knowing full well, that it was too late and I wasn't going to make it to land.  At this point, the ingame audio intruded on my thoughts and I heard the sounds of a gasping pilot.  I was sure I wasn't making those noises, but they sure felt appropriate.  In that fleeting moment, I wasn't sure if perhaps I was hyperventilating.   In my noob state I assumed that the oxygen would only be available ONCE I had landed.  It never occurred to me that the atmosphere inside the station was oxygenated and pressurised.  In the moment of death I was stunned to hear the computer tell me oxygen had been restored.  In my highly attentive state I could here the gasping of air, but this time, it seemed to be the sounds of grateful slurps of oxygen being taken in.  I hurriedly and gingerly (hull damage) landed and entered the station.

I just looked at the screen in awe.  I remember playing the c64 version and creating these stories in my head.  Grand garnished and embellished versions of exploits against the vector monochrome graphics.  I had just lived through this and experienced some of those emotions like a rollercoaster.

Wow Frontier.  I'll cut you a lot of slack if you give me a moment like that every now and then.  Thanks for the inspiration. #whatmakeselitespecial

Comments

Gwynfor said…
On platforms you have to land and descend into the hangar (and guess how suprised you will be, when you read 'repair unavaillable' =:-o)...
Spencer Cook said…
It's exciting isn't it. Worse, when a 2 minute drop from supercruise has you dieing just 20 seconds from the pad on a surface :(
Dennis Wronka said…
The best thing I had was making it through the mail slot as my clock hit 0:00, and then finding my landing pad blocked by an NPC.
He didn't move, while my docking permission slowly timed out. Leaving the station to re-request docking was not an option, as I had no more emergency oxygen left. In the end I got shot up by the station.
It was annoying, but in another way really funny.

Or not too long ago my Anaconda exploded just outside Obsidian Orbital. Too bad I wasn't in Open, that may have been a nice show for nearby Commanders.
Ian Stoffberg said…
Dennis Wronka
Reading that again.  A NPC blocked your allotted PAD?  That's rough and I would probably laugh at the circumstance and curse at the same time.  Not too long ago I reset controls a bit and accidentally triggered flight assist, but then didn't know how to take it off before I cause so much ricochet'ed (?) mayhem that the station euthanised me.
Dennis Wronka said…
Ian Stoffberg Exactly. An NPC was parking on the pad that had been assigned to me. I confimed that a couple of times to avoid dying because I'm an idiot (yet again).
I lined up my Vulture right behind his Corba, sticking my nose right up his ass, and boosted. Nothing. :-(

And yes, laughing and cursing was just about what I did. The whole scene was rather ridiculous.

Popular posts from this blog

Unlocking Hera Tani

So, in the spirit of Elite Stories, thought I'd share my perspective of last night.