Amarok Video Podcasts

Amarok keeps impressing the hell out of me.


I had a few video podcasts already sync'ed from iTunes to the iPod. I right-clicked one of them and Amarok subscribed to the same feed.


I was able to download video podcasts into amarok and sync them in the same way as audio. I could not play the video directly although the audio of the video podcast played perfectly. By right-clicking on the video podcast, I could redirect playback into smplayer which worked a treat. I could not make this behaviour be the default for some reason. Will work on that.


I am really nitpicking now as Amarok has exceeded my expectations and then some. Amarok has always been an awesome mp3 manager for large collections and for at least a year now, maybe longer, the stability has been phenomenal. Based on an interview I heard with the developers on the Linux Link Tech Show, the don't plan on making video a priority, but I hope this changes. I know the app can do it easily enough and possibly this is something that will come with the final kde4 release. From what I have seen, the Kde3.59 version is probably the most feature complete media app for my needs and I hope to use it for all my obscure needs.


I wonder if there is a plugin to play Commodore 64 .sid files? I guess that is just me being unreasonable!


To finish this post off, I disconnected the iPod and was able to watch the video podcast on the ipod exactly as if it had been sync'ed with iTunes. One more nail in that coffin, it would seem. As I've mentioned before, I am only reviewing the precise features I need. This is a tiny fraction of what Amarok is capable of doing. Don't get me started on the coverart handling, wikipedia, lyrics, scripting, magnatune and much more functionality it offers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unlocking Hera Tani

So, in the spirit of Elite Stories, thought I'd share my perspective of last night.