Installation Complete

So the installation completed and I rebooted.

Grub error 17.

Not very friendly. No obvious way to fix this. I know why it happened. Ubuntu is installed on the second drive and the first drive is the NTFS windows drive. Still, I believe I should have either received a warning from the Ubuntu installer or have a safe option in the boot menu to repair things. Not a good start.

I booted off a knoppix livecd and reinstalled the grub menu. This did nothing and I had the same problem again. I then swapped the cables on my 2 sata drives to changed the drive order around so that my drive 0 was the ubuntu one and drive 1 was NTFS. This fixed the problem and I was able to boot in without incident. As I had kept my old home directory from my dual boot setup, I was up and running without incident. All my firefox settings (bookmarks, etc) were in place and my documents and files were all happy and in their familiar places. All in all, this was the highlight of the installation process. I must say, reinstall linux and having your settings intact is something I can't live without and Windows needs to copy this functionality pronto.

Last comment. Ubuntu correctly installed my display driver and set the resolution up to 1920x1200 as I expected, but it used the open source nvidia driver by default. I opened the hardware utility and it told me there was a proprietary driver available if I wanted more 3d capabilities, but that there was no source code available for the driver. I cheerfully ignored the implied rebuke for using the proprietary driver and clicked on the checkbutton to autoinstall it.

After this install, I was prompted to reboot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unlocking Hera Tani

So, in the spirit of Elite Stories, thought I'd share my perspective of last night.