HD Media Player and Linux

My next challenge was to get direct read/write connectivity to my MVIX 760 multimedia box over ethernet.


The windows solution requires setting up a proprietary secure connection between windows and the device. Its a clunky setup which involves the setup of unsecured shares on the windows machine to make this work. I never liked the solution as it included a client side install on the pc to make it work. Each pc that needed access needed this software.


Instead of duplicating this solution, I have chosen to improve on it. What I did was install a custom firmware on the device which allows ftp/ http and telnet access. This firmware also allows for the read/write of drives connected to the device via the 2 builtin usb ports which were previously inaccessible over a remote connection


The only other concern is that the firmware does not allow write access to NTFS drives so I had to reformat the drive as ext3. Considering that the 300 gb drive was full, Saturday was spent backing up this data and reformatting the drive. Sunday morning was spent copying the data back.


In order to make the blog a little bit more active, I am splitting this post over 2 posts. I am about to test the above functionality.


I hope it works!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unlocking Hera Tani

So, in the spirit of Elite Stories, thought I'd share my perspective of last night.