Printing DVD Labels Linux Success

I'm claiming success on this one even though its not as seamless as on windows. The main problem I am having is that I just can't get the full disk to print perfectly without any white borders.


I can spend a while adjusting image offsets in pixel increments until I get it perfect, but I don't have the blank disks to waste on this exercise.


In windows, to save ink, I tended to use a white background with black / coloured text boxes describing the disk contents. This also meant that you never had the problem with dark backgrounds not printing to the edge of a cd and leaving the white unprinted edges on the disk visible.


I have made a template in OpenOffice Draw which gives me the same functionality and I have just started using it to print on dvd's and its working beautifully.


I have a Canon pixma ip5200 and the Linux printer driver support in Ubuntu has worked quite well since Gutsy. It printed okay in OpenSUSE 10.3, but the direct cd printing didn't work as I couldn't select the cd tray as an output tray for the printer.


Again, let me reiterate that I don't have total perfect printing for full page labels as I had in Windows, but I think its more a case of me blaming the software rather than admitting I ran out of talent (and patience) while attempting a tedious / repetitive task.


As a general comment, the real reason this works in windows is that Microsoft doesn't bother to get involved with solving the problem. Canon has to write the driver, supply the software and certify that it works. In Linux, they have not elected to do the same and so you can't blame Linux or cups. It would be nice to see more commitment from the hardware vendors in a case like this. When you consider that the drivers exist and the application software stack is suitable, why can't companies like Canon just provide templates for applications like the Gimp, GLabel, Kover or even OpenOffice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unlocking Hera Tani

So, in the spirit of Elite Stories, thought I'd share my perspective of last night.