I did the unthinkable

Not only have I neglected this blog for a week, but I have done something terrible. Actually 2 things.

Firstly, my internet access has been *very* patchy this past week to the point that I didn't get much done and so I have very little updates to the site. Its not a big trainsmash as my usability testing continues. My initial enthusiasm for Krusader has dipped as I am missing some key functionality that I need to duplicate via the customisation features within the app. I'll document these as I sort them out one by one. BIGGEST problem is the lack of queuing for multiple copy / move operations. If I don't get satisfaction, I see myself buying total commander and running it under wine.

Second thing is I installed Virtualbox and installed Windows XP into it. I have been meaning to live without XP, but I need it for iTunes.

Now, the 2 things above are not the bad things I refer to. Over the weekend, I bought an iPod Touch and a Macbook. The iPod does not work on Linux very well (or at all) and the MacBook is as proprietary as they come. That said, both devices impressed me tremendously win terms of their interface and usability. The main differences between the Mac OSX and Linux for me initially is as follows.

Linux == More Functionality
OSX == More Polish

Depending on your personality, I guess that's what impresses / frustrates you about each. The laptop is actually going to be used by my daughter for school things and I couldn't bring myself to buy her a Vista laptop. It's the lesser of 2 evils.

I *am* intending to put either Ubuntu or XP on as a secondary O/S, although currently I am leaning towards XP as I have an old Encarta cd I want to install. I don't expect it will work in wine.

The iPod is pretty neat too. iTunes refuses to see it under Virtualbox so I am still working on that aspect.

More updates to follow as I investigate further.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unlocking Hera Tani

So, in the spirit of Elite Stories, thought I'd share my perspective of last night.