Installation notes #1

Okay.

First stab at installing failed miserably.

Backed up windows data, rebooted pc with Ubuntu 8.04 cd in drive and attempted installation.

Did not use the livecd option, decided to do normal install. Did the preliminary setup, deleted my main windows partition and allocated it to ubuntu's "/" partition and created a swap partition. I kept my previous dualboot "/home" partition to be reused and I left my NTFS data partition active. I want to migrate data from the ntfs to the ubuntu system afterwards and then I will reformat it. So at this point I have an NTFS partition and 3 linux partitions. Pretty standard stuff. Only complication is that my ipod is still plugged in via USB. The installer detects it as FAT32, no problem, and I exclude it from the install in the partition tool.

I proceed and the installer freezes *AFTER* deleting my windows partition but before recreating the new filesystems. The progress bar never gets past 15% (detecting filesystems) and I leave it be for about 20 minutes before pulling the plug.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unlocking Hera Tani

So, in the spirit of Elite Stories, thought I'd share my perspective of last night.